Denia enjoys a privilege position right on the northern edge of the province of Alicante. It sits on the shores of the Mediterranean opposite the Balearic Islands and is backed by the impressive mountains of the the Montgo Natural Park. Denia hosts many fiestas, but it is best know for the running of the bulls fiesta which takes place during July and has been declared as being of National Tourist Interest.
Denia is a fantastic place to visit, where you’ll easily be able to enjoy a day or two! There is the ruined castle which proudly guards the town and has stunning views out over the marina, the natural park of Montgo and the Torre del Gerro both of which have marked walking trails to enjoy. The prestigious marina with its wonderful elevated promenade, a 20 kilometre coastline of both rocky and sandy beaches, the fish market, the old town and the impressive tree lined main shopping street as well as the museums. If that isn’t enough you can take the tram south to Calpe, Altea, Benidorm or the city of Alicante, alternatively take the ferry to the Ibiza or Palma for an overnight stay!
Places of interest and ideas of things to do in Denia
- Coastline: 20km of fine sandy beaches and rocky coastlines.
- Marina: stylish marina with restaurants and bars and great elevated promenade.
- Port: take the ferry to Ibiza, Mallorca or Formentera.
- Fish Auction: watch the auction of the fresh fish every weekday from 17:00.
- Old Town: small narrow streets and plazas to wander around.
- High Street: impressive tree lined main shopping street.
- Tourist Office: more information about Archaeological Museum, Ethnology Museum, Toy Museum and walking routes through the Montgo Natural Park.
- Castle: explore the ruins of this historic landmark.
- Market: large Monday morning.
- Montgo Natural Park: walking routes with stunning views over Denia.
- Torre del Gerro Viewpoint: 16th century watch tower which is accessed via a steep walking trail.
- Tram: take the tram south to other towns including Gata de Gorgos, Altea, Benidorm, Villajoyosa and Alicante.
Ideas of places to twin Denia with day or night
- There is so much to do in Denia that you could easily spend a day or two here! Visit the market on a Monday morning, buy some fresh local produce for a picnic and then drive to the Montgo Natural Park for a walk along any of the marked trails
- Spend the morning exploring the historic castle right in the heart of Denia, then make the short drive to the huge La Marina shopping mall in Ondara with its many, many shops, bowling alley and eateries.
- Start the day with a coffee at the marina, after take the tram to any of the other coastal towns like Calpe, Altea or Benidorm.